You are probably considering checking the ads section for used food truck for sale by owner when you want to start the business. Many people have thought about starting out a food business, but starting such a business is costly. That’s why many have thought about turning to owning a food truck instead of opening a restaurant or a diner. But still, you need to have a rather big capital to start out. There are several things to consider before you even decide to buy your own truck.
Lucrative Opportunity for Food Truck Business
A decade ago, not many people would even understand the food truck concept. It’s safe to say that food truck industry is a relatively new idea and concept. Since 2011, the sector has experienced a lucrative growth and many professionals have started looking at it. If you love cooking and food in general, this can be a fun business to consider.
Naturally, if you want to open up a food truck business, you will need to have a food truck, right? Buying the truck would be one of the most crucial investments (especially in physical matter) that you will have to make. You may also consider about checking the used food truck for sale by owner, unless you are loaded.
Ask yourself about your business goals and purposes. Think carefully as food truck is a part of big investment. How do you see yourself in 5 years from now? What’s your plan with your food truck? Do you believe that you can own several food trucks? Do you diversify your services or menus? You should also see yourself within the business. Do you own the food truck as a side job? Do you want to use it as your main income? Do you want to do everything on your own? Will you be hiring people to run the business instead? In short, you need to have a solid planning and management before you can start.
Advantages of Buying Used Food Truck
The biggest advantage of buying a used truck is the price tag. A used truck would be less costly than the new one. If you are rather low on the funds, buying a used truck can save you a lot of money. Moreover, when you buy a used one, you get to enjoy the already finished retrofitting. There is no need to imagine what the layout will be because everything will be ready and set. In most cases, you may have to change the utilities or appliances, and you are good to go! There is no need to deal with the fussy interior management.
And there is somewhat an advantage to buying a used food truck for sale by owner: you can deal with the owner right away. You are facing the person who knows the details of the truck; inside and out. In most cases, the used truck is typically sold with all the appliances. It means that you don’t have to think about buying another sink, oven, or stove. Well, unless the previous owner has stripped them off. But in general, they won’t bother doing it as those appliances can add value to the food truck itself.
Things to Consider before Purchasing
So, what are the things to consider before buying a truck, even the one of used food truck for sale by owner?
- Check the truck equipment and also engine. Bring along your own mechanic and ask him to check everything. It’s also possible to hire an appliance specialist so he/she can check the appliances’ status, making sure that everything is running and operating well. You don’t want to be stuck with complicated, fussy, and costly maintenance and repair.
- Check the maintenance logs. If you want to learn about the vehicle (and what has happened to it), check the maintenance records. It will inform you whether the pervious owner has taken care of the truck well or not. Did they perform oil changes regularly? Has he changed the belt lately? What about the brakes?
- Check for the truck’s age. Buying a food truck is just the same as buying a car. You want to know the age. If it is too old, you may be tangled up in fussy maintenance efforts. Buying an old truck is okay, but it needs to be well taken care of. The combination of old age and poor maintenance will only get you into a trouble – a type of trouble that you can actually avoid if you have been very meticulous and careful about.
- Check the truck’s odometer. In general, food trucks won’t have to go through long miles, but you can never take chances. You want to check the miles that the truck has gone through. In most cases, the cheaper a truck is, the longer miles it has. You should consider this factor, especially if you are going to go through a certain distance on your own. If the truck has already owned many miles on its own, it will affect the tear and wear of your usage.
- Check the fuel requirement. This is crucial when you want to buy a used truck, especially about whether it is gas or diesel. It will lead to your own personal preference. Diesel has better fuel economy, while gas has cheaper price tag. Gas is quieter but diesel has more power. You don’t want to end up with a truck (and engine) that you dislike.
- Ask for warranty. Even if you buy it from the owner directly, the agreement about the warranty should be legally written. It will protect you from any misconduct or wrongdoings, especially if the previous owner has shady intentions. If the person isn’t willing to provide warranty, just turn around and leave. He isn’t worth your time or efforts.
Buying a used food truck can be a good investment. It is also good to propose a lucrative and promising business, especially if you are into food and cooking. You can still be protected and enjoy safety when you buy a used food truck for sale by owner; just be sure to do it carefully.